Sunday, October 14, 2012

Weekend Update

(Apologies ahead of time for the length of this one! Trying to keep Brian abreast of the happenings at home while he's away in New Orleans (tough life) for a conference.)

Saturday:
Bennett remembered when he woke up that he was now THREE years old. Yay! In the morning, we went to music class, called Music Menagerie. It's very fun to listen to Bennett try to say 'menagerie'. The last two weeks, I've had to sit in the class with him even though it's a kids only affair. His "teachers" have been very gracious and patient with him as he works through the separation thing. Yesterday, though, he walked in like a champ and joined the group. It seemed as if he didn't even notice I was gone. The teacher gave me a thumbs up as I slipped out the door. I enjoyed a little quiet time to read my book club book.

After class, we watched the big kids play hockey for a while (class is at a large community center with two ice rinks). Then, we came home and had lunch before trying for a nap. It didn't happen, but I enforced the two hours of quiet time rule - much to Bennett's chagrin. He was very unhappy and kept asking me (every five minutes), "Is Quiet Time over yet, mom?" No. Finally, at 2:45, he was let out of his prison of toys and we had a little snack before heading to Adventures on Wonderland. This place is awesome! It's just a huge indoor playground with lots and lots of climbers and a couple of ball pits, a small arcade and even an area with bounce houses that Bennett didn't even find. In addition, there's laser tag, but he doesn't know what that is yet. We were there for at least two hours before we had to leave to run a couple of errands. Thanks to no nap, he fell asleep in the car about five minutes from home. Great! And it was not even 6pm yet. I was terrified that he'd stay asleep and wake up ready for the day at 4:30am. Thank goodness he woke up after being at home for a little bit. He went down at his usual 9:15. Then, around 1:30, he joined me as he usually does and slept in my bed until 6:30. He wanted milk and fell asleep again until NINE!!! Holy cow. That hasn't happened in a very long time. I certainly enjoyed my sleep in.

Sunday: After sleeping in a bit, we had breakfast together and went for a little hike at the Sifton Bog. I had not been to a bog before and this was really neat. It's really just a wetland that has a wooden walk way through it. We saw lots of evidence of wildlife, but didn't see any actual animals. When we got to the "bog" pond/lake thing, Bennett just wanted to fish with Daddy-o and jump off the dock into the water. Thank goodness it wasn't all that cold - but still, it wouldn't have been good fishing.

After we left the bog - it was off to Wal-mart (I know, I know) to look for a couple of things. We went down the Halloween aisle to look for decorations and I made the mistake of turning into the costume aisle. He chose a devil costume. Not a bad choice at all considering that the ghost costume (which was his original choice) had a full face mask and I'm not so into those for little guys. We were able to "return" the costume at check out because it was "defective". It didn't have a cape and everyone knows that a proper devil has a cape. We decided to go to the fabric store to look for patterns and then buy fabric to make our own devil costume. I'm very excited to get to work on this and share the results with you all soon!

Then, it was off the the apple farm. We went to Appleland (which normally has u-pick apples, but had to import the apples from Quebec this year due to a weird weather thing in the spring) and had a good time riding the train and picking pumpkins and digging in their sand mountain. Then, we went to Oma and Grandpa's for dinner. Yummy lasagne with apple pie for dessert. After a quick dip in the hot tub, Bennett and I said our goodbyes and headed home. Since there was no nap again today (he woke at 9, no way I was going to get him down at noon for a nap!) he fell asleep on the way home. Again, about five to ten minutes away. I was able to get him transferred into his bed but he woke up when I tried to undress him and put on a diaper. UGH! We were up for another hour before he finally zonked out at 8:30.

Now it's time for me to pass out. Two long days in a row. I'm quite thankful he has school tomorrow morning as I have two major errands to take care of: a chest x-ray for my immigration physical and registering the Volvo with Ontario plates. I'll be so glad when the "business" part of this move is completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment